Growing In The Gospel - SUMMARY OF BENSON'S PREACHING SLIDES
You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, take care that you are not carried away with the error of lawless people and lose your own stability. But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen. 2 Peter 3:17-18
(With acknowledgement and appreciation to PJ Smyth and GodFirst Church in Johannesburg for this series. godfirst.co.za. Below is a summary of Benson Okyere-Manu's sermon preached on 21 April 2013.
1. STAYING CONVINCED TO GROW
2. GETTING POSITIONED TO GROW
3. KEEPING MOTIVATED TO GROW
4. FIGHTING AND DETERMINED TO GROW
STAYING CONVINCED TO GROW. God, Our Father, expects us to grow
- Growth is not an event; it is a process.
- Salvation is an event, but growth is a process.
- Peter’s word “grow” is a command and not an option. The grammar also indicates that we are to keep on growing.
- Growth is a process of becoming more like the Lord Jesus. We grow into maturity until Christ comes. BUT WE NEED TO POSITION OURSELVES FOR GROWTH
GETTING POSITIONED TO GROW
THE BIBLE. 2 Tim 3:14-17
- The Bible, the WORD of God, is the Food for the Christian’s Growth.
- Just as you need food for your physical growth, you need the Bible for the nourishing of your soul.
- It is also the main way through which God speaks to his Children.
CULTIVATE A HABIT OF DAILY READING
- You need to make it a habit of reading the Word of God daily
- Choose convenient time to be alone with God
- Read between 5-15 verses
USE BIBLE READING GUIDES
- It helps to use a Reading Guide or Reading AID in a book form or even online.
- eg. Worldlive from Scripture Union - www.wordlive.org/
- Bible study tools.com http://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-reading-plan/
- Our Daily Bread http://odb.org/tag/devotions/
- Crosswalk Devotions http://www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/crosswalk-devo/
- Daily Guide, Light for Our Path etc.
REFLECTION ON THE WORD
READING WITH OTHERS
- Cultivate a habit of reading the bible with friends in a form of Bible Studies
- IF YOU LIVE WITH OTHERS, children, spouses, initiate FAMILY DEVOTIONS OR FAMILY ALTARS.
- In all of this we need to memorise scripture -
- Ps 119:11 - I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.
PRAYER: ALONE AND WITH OTHERS
- ALONE: Communication with your father in Heaven
- WITH OTHERS: Agreeing together in communicating with OUR Father in Heave
PRAYER: PLANNED AND SPONTANEOUS TIMES
- Pray on your own without ceasing
- Pray with friend, family and colleagues
- Attend church prayer meetings
- Declaring the WORTHY-SHIP OF GOD.
- For a Child of God, worship is a lifestyle. Your whole life is about worshiping God. ROMANS 12:1 I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.
YOU BLESS THE LORD. 1 Chronicle 29:10-13
10 Therefore David blessed the Lord in the presence of all the assembly. And David said: "Blessed are you, O Lord, the God of Israel our father, forever and ever. 11 Yours, O Lord, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, for all that is in the heavens and in the earth is yours. Yours is the kingdom, O Lord, and you are exalted as head above all. 12 Both riches and honor come from you, and you rule over all. In your hand are power and might, and in your hand it is to make great and to give strength to all. 13 And now we thank you, our God, and praise your glorious name.
1. Fully engage in the worship times at church meetings. Arrive on time. Soak in the words of the songs. Use your voice and body to worship God. You can raise your hands up and allow the music to stir you and enhance your worship.
2. Use passages of scripture to help you worship God and pray and concentrate on the Words of Songs that we sing:
The Holy Spirit is the Third Person of the Trinity. He was involved in creation and has always been part of the lives of the people of God.
HOW DOES THE HOLY SPIRIT HELP ME?
Helps us with telling others
Helps us with obedience
Helps us know we are saved
Gives us the tools – fruit and gifts
HOW DO I RECEIVE THE SPIRIT?
How much more will your father in heaven give the holy spirit to those who ask!
Eph 3:10-13: Through the CHURCH the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly places. 11 This was according to the eternal purpose that he has realized in Christ Jesus our Lord, 12 in whom we have boldness and access with confidence through our faith in him.
KEEPING MOTIVATED TO GROW
LOVE: 2 Cor 5:14. For Christ’s love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died.
Eph 2:8-10 For it is by grace you have been saved… not by works. We are created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
Rev 22:12 Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me. I will give to everyone according to what he has done.
FIGHTING AND DETERMINED TO GROW
OBSTRUCTION 1: GUILT
Rom 8:1 therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
OBSTRUCTION 2: TEMPTATION
1 Cor 10:13 When you are tempted God will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.
1 Peter 5:8-9 Be self-controlled and alert, your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.
Romans 6:13 Do not offer the parts of your body to sin as instruments of wickedness.
Learn how to run: Gen 39:11-12 Potiphar’s wife caught Joseph by his cloak and said ‘come to bed with me!’ But he left his cloak in her hand and ran out of the house.
Avoid places of temptation
Be ruthless with little sins
Stay accountable to others
Repent and receive forgiveness